Experimental, 4:13 mins, HD & 16 mm, 2013 – no dialogue
Director / Writer / Producer / Camera / Hand Printing
EN: Lush hand-crafted film footage and HD images combine to reveal a mysterious past through remnants of a memory that is almost remembered, but which never fully develops.
FR: Une combinaison d’éléments filmiques et d’images HD pour révéler un passé mystérieux. Alors que des fragments de mémoire semblent sur le point de se recomposer, la vérité semble toujours nous échapper.
ES: Una combinación de elementos de pélicula e imagenes de alta resolución revela un pasado misterioso. Aunque los fragmentos de la memoria parecen a punto de formarse de nuevo, el recuerdo nos elude.
Presque Vu is without language or dialogue. There are words spoken in a mysterious language, but they are not intended to be understood.
- Festival du nouveau cinéma (Canada) – 2013
- Antimatter Festival (Canada) – 2013
- Festival international Signes de Nuit – Binational (France & Germany) – 2013
- Festival international de videoarte (Argentina) – 2013
- Semana de cine experimental de Madrid (Spain) – 2013
- Alucine Latin Film and Media Arts Festival (Canada) – 2014
- Dawson City International Short Film Festival (Canada) – 2014
- Bienal de artes mediales, Chile – 2015
CURATED SCREENING / EXHIBITIONS
- #eyesonvu, VUCAVU.COM online broadcast (Toronto, Canada) – April 2017
- CONTINENTE BIM touring program curated by Gabriela Golder, at the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes as part of the Bienal de Artes Mediales (Santiago, Chile) – October 2015
- Latin Canadian Visions, curated by Sinara Rozo Perdomo for Currents: Santa Fe International New Media Festival (Santa Fe, USA) – June 2015
- Festival international Signes de Nuit international tour at Mostra Internazionale del Nuovo Cinema (Pesaro, Italy) – June 2014
- Festival international Signes de Nuit international tour at Recontres du film court (Antananarivo, Madagascar) – May 2014
- Festival international Signes de Nuit international tour at Sleepwalker Festival (Tallinn, Estonia) – Apr 2014
- Festival international Signes de Nuit international tour at Muestra Joven ICAIC (Havana, Cuba) – Apr 2014
- On the Fort projection loop at the Festival du Voyageur, (Winipeg, Canada) – Feb 2014
- In Plain View, installation program curated by Heidi Phillips, presented by On Screen Manitoba at Artspace (Winnipeg, Canada) – Oct 2013
CREDITS / TECHNICAL NOTES
- Director / Writer / Producer / Camera / Hand Printing: Cecilia Araneda
- Editor: Chad Tremblay
- Music: Joe Silva
Presque Vu was made with original footage shot in 2010 at Phil Hoffman’s Film Farm in Mount Forest, Ontario.
The film was shot by using a Bolex and a DSLR. The 16 mm footage was processed and tinted by hand, using traditional photography techniques. The underwater footage was also shot using a Bolex camera, with a special water-proof casing.
My travel to the Film Farm was made possible through the generous support of the Manitoba Arts Council and the City of Winnipeg through the Winnipeg Arts Council.